Image default
Amazing Top Stories

Three real Facebook mistakes you will be happy you did not make

Three real Facebook mistakes you will be happy you did not make|

Facebook is not only about reaping likes and shares, there are several other games being played on fb which have sent many people to jail.

Here are three stories that would make you grateful it did not happen to you

Lunch Lizards

Friend: Vanessa Starr Palm, 23, of Illinois, and Alexander Daniel Rust, 24, of Indiana

Story: While Palm and Rust were on vacation in the Bahamas in 2009, they saw a wild iguana. They killed it. And they cooked and ate it. And they took photos of the whole process and posted them on their Facebook profiles.

What happened to them: Iguanas are endangered species in the Bahamas. Someone contacted authorities about the photos, and Bahamian police tracked down and arrested the couple. They were released from jail on $500 bail and eventually paid fines for their illegal meal.


Friend: Dylan Osborn, 37, of Buckinghamshire, England

Story: Shortly after Osborn joined Facebook in 2007, a window appeared on screen asking if he wanted to send “friend requests” to everyone on his e-mail list. He clicked “Yes.” Result: A friend request went to his estranged wife, Claire Tarbox … with whom he was under court order to not have any contact.

What happened next: Tarbox called the police, and Osborn was arrested for sending this friend request and then sentenced by a judge to 10 days in jail. Osborn claimed that he hadn’t understood how Facebook works and had no idea the request would be sent to Tarbox. “I didn’t even know she had a Facebook account,” he told reporters after his release. “To be honest, I don’t think the judge understood how it works, either.”

The King and I

Friend: Fouad Mourtada, 26, of Casablanca, Morocco

Story: Mourtada joined Facebook sometime in 2007, under a fake name. Whose? Moulay Rachid, brother of Morocco’s King Mohammed VI, and second in line to the Moroccan throne.

What happened next: In February 2008, Mourtada was arrested. He confessed to having made the fake Facebook profile, explaining that he’d done it “to get girlfriends.” Mourtada was quickly tried, convicted of “modifying and falsifying information technology data and usurping an official’s identity,” and sentenced to three years in prison. A month later, after intense international pressure at what was viewed as an unfair trial, “Prince” Fouad Mourtada was released… after receiving a royal pardon.

This article was originally published in The Reader’s digest

Dear TNT Reader,

At The News Tribe, our mission is to bring you free, independent, and unbiased news and content that keeps you informed and empowered. We are committed to upholding the highest standards of journalism, as we understand that we are a platform for truth.

Apart from independent global news coverage, we also commit our unique focus on the Muslim world. In an age marked by the troubling rise of Islamophobia and widespread misrepresentation of Muslims in Western media, we strive to provide accurate and fair coverage.

But to continue doing so, we need your support. Even a small donation of 1$ can make a big difference. Your contribution will help us maintain the quality of our news and counteract the negative narratives that are so prevalent.

Please consider donating today to ensure we can keep delivering the news that matters. Together, we can make a positive impact on the world, and work towards a more inclusive, informed global society.

Monthly Subscription Annual Subscription

Visa Card MasterCard American Express Card

We want to hear your Travel Stories.

Do you have a memorable, unbelievable, or favorite travel experience? Share your story with us.