Tripoli: Libyan revolutionaries have accused Nato of failing to defend them against ruler Muammar Gaddafi’s forces as fighting rages on in the North African country between the opposition and the regime’s forces. Revolutionary forces say their patience is growing thin as the Western military alliance has ignored the eastern front, where Gaddafi’s soldiers continue to kill ordinary civilians, media reported.The report comes as beleaguer Gaddafi said on Tuesday that he would continue fighting against the Nato and the revolution.
Gaddafi told his supporters that he would stay in power despite Western-led efforts to oust him, adding regime loyalists would recapture lost territory.
Tripoli and some western provinces remain under Gaddafi’s control while the revolutionaries hold Benghazi, most of the east and several western cities.
Libya has been the scene of fierce fighting between forces loyal to Gaddafi and anti-regime revolutionaries since mid-February. The revolutionary forces seek an end to Gaddafi’s decades-long rule.
The US and Nato forces have unleashed a punishing, UN-mandated aerial bombardment of Libya to pressure Gaddafi to give up power.
However, the Western coalition airstrikes have claimed the lives of many Libyan civilians so far.